RELICS OF THE POLISH SKIES
The Foundation has been established by Jan Borowski and his son, Stanisław Borowski, for the sake of museum-quality airplanes’ protection from destruction and falling into oblivion. However, restoring the unique machines is the main priority.
The Foundation focuses on collecting equipment and fitting, but also, on gathering all the essential data. Yet, the most significant tasks are restoration, maintenance and service of historic machines. Another Foundation’s role is to popularize the worldwide aeronautical history, tradition and engineering by, for instance, educational actions.
The Foundation’s economical activity is based on charged repair and conservation of flying machines, as well as, aerial rental and lease with or without crew, including ground crew. It is inevitable for the Foundation to exist.
(Pilot – uncle of the founder)
Born on 31st May, 1912 in Radom. He passed his Matura exam at Public Gymnasium of Humanities there. Afterwards, Jan Borowski started studying at the Department of Mechanics at Warsaw University of Technology. After passing the 4th term he decided to change the path of his education and joined Reserve Signal Officers' Training Centre in Zegrze in order to join Aviation Reserve Officer’s Training couple of months later. After successful graduation, he decided to join Aviation Officer’s Academy where, in 1932, he obtained the degree with an excellent result. On 15th October 1936 he had been assigned to 113th Fighter Squadron of 1st Regiment in Warsaw. By the middle of 1938, he became second in command of the flying officer, Wieńczysław Barański.
On 1st August 1939 Jan Borowski joined the flight research in the Institute of Aeronautical Technologies as a pilot-case referent, but on 26th August he had been summoned for military service, where in a former rank, he joined his previous division.
On 29th August the whole squadron was transferred to the Poniatów airfield, nearby Jabłonna.
At 7 o’clock, on 1st September the 113th Squadron took off in order to protect Warsaw against the Germans’ air raid. In the afternoon of the very same day, Jan Borowski and Jerzy Radomski shot down two German Messerschmitts Bf 109 right above the Kabaty Woods, the nature reserve on the outskirts of Warsaw; one of these was navigated by Luftwaffe’s top pilot, old-timer of the Condor Legion – Lieutenant-colonel Henschke. What is more, it is very possible, that these were the first Bf 109s destroyed during the Invasion of Poland.
The 113th Squadron was moved twice – on 3rd September nearby Błonie, on 7th September to Bełżyce airfield, close to Lublin. During missions pilots of the squadron had shot down 15 or 16 planes. What is more, 113th Squadron participated in protecting the Eastern border, fighting against the Soviet planes.
On 17th September they were evacuated to Romania, then, to France.
On 1st November Jan Borowski got his stripes and became the flying officer.
During their stay in Lyon Bron’s air-base, he participated in several alarm flights, but the confrontation never occurred. Then, he was transferred to Italy. After the French Campaign finished, he flew to Africa, and afterwards to Great Britain.
On 17th October 1940 he was assigned to 302nd Fighter Command. The next day, on the 18th October, he had his first flight in the British skies, but, because of bad weather conditions – a thick fog, his plane crashed. He was awarded with Poland’s highest military decoration for courage, the silver Virtutti Militari Order (12049). Jan Borowski is buried in Northwood cemetery, under H 269.
(FOUNDER, MEMBER OF THE FOUNDATION’S BOARD, PILOT)
J.B. Investments Ltd. Chairman, distributor of airplanes (for example Piper and Diamond)
Among his various interests, his main passion is conquering the skies. It is a family tradition, as his uncle was a pilot, and his mother used to fly on a glider.
In his childhood he used to build plane models, as he always wanted to become a pilot. Unfortunately, his poor eyesight was a barrier for him to attend aviation course. He graduated PAE department (The Faculty of Power and Aeronautical Engineering) at Warsaw University of Technology, where later, he took up the academic position at The Institute of Heat Engineering, the Aeroengines Division.
After leaving the Institute, for some time he focused on automotive branch. He was very passionate about his job, as not only he had benefits out of automotive trade, but also, he was an active participant of various automotive events.
In 1990, his childhood dream came true – he received a tourist pilot license, and later, all other aeronautical certificates. Meanwhile, he has flown out more than a statistical airman had until the end of service.
At the time of 1990 – 1991 he was a vice-president of Warsaw Aeroclub.
Currently, Jan Borowski is a Polish ambassador of several plane brands. It will be some time now, since he had stretched his offer and introduced Bell helicopters.
He has a great sentiment to old, worn-out machines. Therefore, his employees thoroughly restore them piece by piece, until they are ready to fly again. For the time being, he has reconstructed two Bies planes, a post-war machine, that is a Polish construction with a Polish engine. He flies Bies himself during various local or international shows. Last year, at Mielec workshop’s anniversary - the place where Bies was produced, the machine’s magnificence was presented to the audience. Another machine waiting for restoration is the Jakowlew Jak -11.